January 2015 Archives

Texas high-asset divorce process

In Texas, high-asset divorces cases follow the same court process as do other divorces, but they may be more hotly contested. As Texas is a community property state, the marital assets, that is, the assets that have accumulated during the marriage, are to be divided equally between the spouses during the property division.

Co-parenting plans could help avoid future custody disputes

In Texas, divorced couples have two primary ways to deal with the raising of their children. First is the legal order, which is issued by the court. This binding agreement takes precedence over any other arrangements between parents and their children. Nevertheless, there is a realization that what may seem reasonable in the courtroom may not be easy to implement in day-to-day life.

Seeking a child support modification in Texas if unable to pay

When noncustodial parents cannot pay the child support payments that they have been ordered to make, they need to contact the court clerk and the Office of the Attorney General right away. The court does not reduce or reimburse payments if parents fall behind on providing the funds, and notifying the OAG or court clerk does not automatically result in lower monthly payments. To achieve this, the parent needs to file for a modification to the child support orders and obtain a new one.