July 2017 Archives

How to handle child support payment issues

If a divorced Texas parent who has been ordered to pay child support suffers a job loss or some other change in income, it may be necessary to ask for a modification. It is important to point out that any past due support generally cannot be reduced by a judge or discharged through bankruptcy. Therefore, it is important for a parent to ask for a modification as soon as a change in circumstances occurs.

How to divide a 401(k)

Texas couples who are getting a divorce may wonder whether they need to divide one person's 401(k) and how to go about doing that. It is not possible to transfer a 401(k) to another person, but the assets in a 401(k) can be transferred in certain circumstances. It is important that this is done correctly so that neither person has to pay taxes.